Please join us in celebrating a Homemade Valentine’s Day. Our family tradition is full of romance, fun, and delicious food.
Please join us for homemade Valentine’s Day. This special day has grown into a tradition celebrated once a year. Full of romance, fun, and delicious food. I’m sharing it with you, just in case you were looking for a new and fun way to spend a homemade Valentine this year.
Drumroll – Homemade Valentine’s Day!
Valentine Candy –
1. Prepare for Valentine’s Day by stocking up on your favorite Valentine candy – we choose Yum Earth organic pops & gummy fruits. A whole big box came in the mail, and boy I am excited. And it is so sweet to get a personalized Valentine message on my candy.
Love Cards –
2. Pick out a card or make a card. I have not decided what I will do yet, but I am leaning toward making one. If you make a card, there are plenty of templates out there, and you can design one at Canva.com. I love flowers and can’t wait for my red roses. Of course, the most important gift is sharing our love.
Romantic Meal –
3. Prepare a special romantic meal and pretend your home is a restaurant. First, choose a type of food (like Italian). We are doing Italian Restaurant for Valentine’s Day. Decorate with candles on the table, and you are all set.
Plan a delicious menu! Our menu will be is fresh, crisped salad with Italian dressing, spaghetti and meatballs, Italian bread, and spumoni ice cream for dessert (actually, this year we’re having Havanna Alfajores from Argentina with whipped cream).
We both love to cook and Don is making the spaghetti & meatballs and I’ll do the Italian bread, salad, and whipped cream. Our spaghetti recipe is from The New Times Cook Book. I have always been told that a good and often used book has worn pages, and ours is falling apart – lol. The bread recipe is from King Arthur Baking: Italian Bread 101. They even have a video that shows you how to braid the bread. Tips on crisping the salad: Wash and wrap lettuce gently in a cotton tea towel (we use the Ikea tea towels with the red stripe) and refrigerate.
Music Sets Mood
4. Choose music to go with the theme of your dinner. As ours is an Italian restaurant we will be playing selections from Dean Martin and Frank Sinatra. Music sets the mood!
5. Decide on a movie. Every year we watch the original Lady and the Tramp. We have seen it many times, but it never gets old. We especially love the scene where Lady and the Tramp share a strand of spaghetti. A few years back, we worked on the remake of the film in Savannah, Ga. It was exciting to see this scene come alive from an animated film to live-action featuring real dogs and people.
The Oldest Love Story
Now that you’ve read “Homemade Valentine’s Day” read one of the oldest love stories.
So Boaz took Ruth, and she was his wife: and when he went in unto her, the Lord gave her conception, and she bare a son.
And the women said unto Naomi, Blessed be the Lord, which hath not left thee this day without a kinsman, that his name may be famous in Israel.
And he shall be unto thee a restorer of thy life, and a nourisher of thine old age: for thy daughter in law, which loveth thee, which is better to thee than seven sons, hath born him. Ruth 4:13-15 (KJV)
The Book of Ruth demonstrates God’s love for us through the love story of Boaz and Ruth. Ruth and her mother-in-law, Naomi, devotion to each other is endearing. Although, only 2400 words, the Book of Ruth is powerful and beautiful. This story takes place in 1150 BCE, making it one of the oldest love stories. This wonderful couple is also King David’s great-grandparents, ancestors of Jesus Christ.
- Overnight starter
- 3/4 cup (85g) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup (113g) lukewarm water
- 1/8 teaspoon instant yeast or active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast or active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup (170g) lukewarm water
- 2 3/4 cups (326g) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons (8g) salt
- 1 large egg white, beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- sesame seeds
Our oven run a little hot so we could it for 20 - 25 keeping an eye on it during the last 5 minutes.
Please subscribe to “God’s Globe Weekly” newsletter below.